SUPER BOWL XLV
The game is scheduled for kick off by 6:25 EST. Christina Aguilera will sing the National Anthem and The Black Eyed Peas perform in the halftime show.
The official show will be on the FOX television network at 6:00 pm on the East Coast; 5:00pm Central; 4:00 pm Mountain; 3:00 pm Pacific Time. The pre-game show usually starts about four hours before the Super Bowl.
Because I am a girl, I want to start with my favorite part of the Super Bowl…… the rings. Although the players in the Super Bowl are battling for many things my favorite by far is the rings. The large ring is typically made of gold and decorated with diamonds, making it recognizable to those associated with the game and with sports. All players, coaches and staff who are on the team that wins the game receive a ring.
- The NFL pays for 150 rings to be given to the winner of the Super Bowl, and the league pays up to $5,000 for each ring.
- If the rings cost more than $5,000 the team will pay the difference.
- The design of the ring typically incorporates the team’s name, the Super Bowl that was won, sometimes the stadium or trophy will be shown.
- The first rings were given to the Green Bay Packers who won Super Bowl II in 1967.
- The first 26 Super Bowl rings were made by Jostens.
- Super Bowl rings can be re-sold for $10,000 to $25,000 depending on who wore it.
- The losing Super Bowl team also receive 150 rings and the league will spend half the cost on the “loser team” rings.
Super Bowl I
- Super Bowl I (originally named AFL-NFL World Championship Game) was played on January 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, CA
- The National Football League(NFL) champion Green Bay Packers (14-2) played the American Football League (AFL) champion Kansas City Chiefs (12-2-1).
- The Green Bay ended up winning 35 to 10. The Packers quarterback Bart Starr, who completed 16 of 23 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns, with 1 interception, was named Super Bowl MVP.
- The first Super Bowl was simulcast on both NBC and CBS and was the only Super Bowl to be broadcast on two networks at the same time.
- A 30 second commercial cost $42,000 on both networks.
- The game footage from the first ever Super Bowl don’t actually exist. Both networks taped over their footage of the Super Bowl and only bits and pieces of the footage of the game do exist.
Super Bowl XXXV Fun Facts
Total Game Time – 60 Minutes
- Total Commerical Time – 30 Minutes
- Las Vegas Point Spread – AFC’s Baltimore Ravens +3
- This will be the first Super Bowl without Cheerleaders.
- $400 million is the estimated amount of money that the game will bring to the Dallas area.
- $2.8 million is the cost for a 30-second advertisement during the game. Super Bowl I the same commercial cost $42,000
- 151.6 million people are expected to watch a part of the game.
- 325.5 million gallons of beer will be drank on Super Bowl Sunday
- 8 Million Pounds of Guacomole Consumed on Super Bowl Sunday
- 14,500 tons of Chips Consumed on Super Bowl Sunday
- 6% of people will call in sick Monday after Super Bowl
- This is the first time the Super Bowl is being held in Arlington, but the second time the game has been played in Texas. Super Bowl XXXVIII was played in Houston when the New England Patriots beat the Carolina Panthers, 32-29.
- This is the eighth Super Bowl for the Steelers and the fifth one for the Packers. The Steelers are 6-1 in their previous seven games while the Packers are 3-1. With 13 combined Super Bowl appearances, Pittsburgh and Green Bay have played in just under 15% of every game.
- The eighth appearance by the Steelers ties them with the Dallas Cowboys for most all-time. The Packers fifth appearance moves them into a tie for fifth-best behind only the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots and Broncos.
- The Las Vegas point spread is AFC’s Baltimore Ravens +3. The biggest pre-game spread was 18.5 points in Super Bowl XXIX. The San Francisco 49ers covered that to beat the San Diego Chargers, 49-26.
NEVER PLAYED IN THE SUPER BOWL
- Only four active franchises have never appeared in a Super Bowl: Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars.
- The Browns have come the closest. They’ve reached the conference title game five times and came the closest to winning in 1986 but lost to the Denver Broncos. In fact, of their five trips to the conference championship, they’ve lost three times to the Broncos.
- The Jaguars were just a game away in both 1999 and 1996 but came up short in each.
- The Lions is the only team in the NFC to never attend a Super Bowl. However, they won the NFL championship in 1935, 1952, 1953, 1957 prior to the existence of the Super Bowl. They made it to the conference championship only once in 1991 but were blown out by the Washington Redskins.
- The Texans have never reached the playoffs.
- The Super Bowl is measured in Roman numerals because a football season runs the span over two calendar years. The year the season began in 2010 and ends in 2011.
- More drivers are involved in alcohol-related accidents on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year (except St. Patrick’s Day), according to the Insurance Information Institute.
- Over 700,000 footballs are produced annually for official NFL use and 72 of them are used for the Super Bowl.
- Super Bowl fans spend more than $50 million on food during the 4 days prior to the super bowl.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest winter grilling day of the year
- 7 is the most touchdowns caught in the Super Bowl – wide receiver Jerry Rice over three separate competitions.
- 7 is the most amount of losses by any team in the Super Bowl – The Los Angeles Rams.
- 6 Super Bowl wins by the Pittsburgh Steelers is the highest number of victories by any team. The Steelers are in this Sunday’s game.
- Charles Haley is the only player to have played in 5 winning games (San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys)
- Joe Montana has the most Super Bowl MVP’s with 3. Montana also holds the record for most consecutive completions in a Super Bowl with 13.
- The Buffalo Bills is the only team to make four consecutive Super Bowl appearances 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1993, yet they have never won a Super Bowl title. Prior to the establishment of the Super Bowl, the Cleveland Browns made six consecutive appearances in NFL Championship games.
- Over half of all the MVP titles have gone to a team quarterback
- Don Shula Coach of the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins has served as the head coach in more Super Bowls than any other coach – 6.
- Chuck Noll of the Pittsburgh Steelers has coached the most Super Bowl wins – 4.
- Roger Staubach of the Dallas Cowboys holds the title for most career fumbles in a Super Bowl.
- The youngest coach to win a Super Bowl was Jon Gruden at the age of 39 when he coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a victory over the Oakland Raiders.
- The oldest coach to win a Super Bowl was Dick Vermeil at the age of 63 when he coached the St. Louis Rams to a victory over the Tennessee Titans
- In Super Bowl 6 the Miami Dolphins only scored 3 points in their loss to the Dallas Cowboys, which is the fewest amount of points to be scored in a game in NFL history.
- The Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, and Minnesota Vikings have each lost four times at the Super Bowl. The Buffalo Bills once lost four-straight times.
- Even with three games tied in the final minute, fans have never yet seen a Super Bowl overtime.
Who will win this year? Will we have any half time bloopers? What commercials will be the most talked about Monday morning? Will any new records or statistics be met? Can we have our first ever Super Bowl go into overtime? and why are there no Cheerleaders this year?
Grab a beer, pass the dip and get ready for the biggest game of the year……
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?