When your family is home, it is important to have peace of mind in knowing that your loved ones are as safe as they can be. It is easy to be comfortable in our home and forget some simple things that can help keep your family safe.
1. Make sure your exterior house numbers are easy to read from the street so emergency crews can find your home.
2. With everyone using cell phones for 99% of calls, it is important to make sure that children know calling 991 from a home phone will provide a faster response than calling from a cell phone.
3. Check smoke alarms every month and replace batteries once a year. I know this is really easy and everyone knows to do this, but it is also very easy to forget.
4. Make sure you also have a Carbon Monoxide detector outside all sleeping areas. Where I live, this is now a law but it is a good idea for everyone. Carbon Monoxide is hard to detect until it is too late.
5. Clean out the dryer vent regularly. Many home fires are a result of dirty dryer vents.
6. Make sure you block inappropriate content on the internet to protect your children. This includes the computer, cable television, Xbox, Playstation, etc. Remind your kids not to talk to strangers online.
7. Be discreet on your facebook, twitter, etc. Don’t give out personal information such as your home address, when you will be out-of-town, etc. This is important to remind your children when they are telling their friends what they are doing. Teach your children to only post things that they have already done so people don’t always know were they are.
8. Also remember to lock all doors and windows and to keep some lights on a timer to detour unwanted guests.